Chris Wilson at St Peter’s High School, Gloucester

The All Golds concluded their league campaign and go into the play-offs on the back of a big win over local rivals Swindon St George at St Peter’s.

They recovered from a sluggish start to score 38 unanswered points to lay the foundation for their highest score of the season.

In total, the All Golds crossed for a dozen tries with top scorer George Bvuma taking his tally to seven for the season with a brace; Ash Lewis and Kaine Dimech also crossing twice as the home side turned up the heat in the middle section of the game.

However, as seems to be the case for games between these two fierce rivals, there were a number of flashpoints and the referee sin-binned four players in separate incidents and sent off Swindon’s Richard White.

There was a distinct lack of intensity about the All Golds’ pre-match preparation that made itself felt in the opening exchanges. Swindon saw their chance and took it eagerly with Jack Daynes powering through some ineffective defence after just three minutes, Mark Sharp adding the extras.

Lewis dummied over for his first try after the All Golds had won a goal-line dropout from the restart and levelled the score himself from the tee.

The loose nature of the opening quarter saw both sides score tries with ease and Connor Tomley gave Swindon the lead again with a straightforward angled run to the line. Sharp then went over for a try but neither of these scores were converted and when Dimech ghosted through the line from Joe Uren’s pass, the All Golds were just four points in arrears.

The home side pressed for the lead and Joe Uren had a try chalked off for a forward pass before Kieran Webb dummied outside and stepped inside to score. Lewis added the goal to give the All Golds a lead they were not to lose.

Minutes later, Dimech’s powerful surge scattered the defence and Marcus Brown picked up from dummy half to stroll over, Joe Uren adding the goal.

Swindon had chances to score themselves, however. James Royle did superbly to prevent George Woolley from scoring before a long break downfield ended with the ball harmlessly bouncing into touch after the home defence had scrambled well to combat the danger.

Just before the break, the All Golds extended their lead to 28-14 as Jack Uren’s inside ball sent Bvuma racing to the posts. Joe Uren converted.

Bvuma was in again in the opening minute of the second period as Brown’s brilliant instant catch and pass sent him through a gap to score. Moments later, Joe Uren was held up over the line and two tackles later, brother Jack skipped over under the posts.

Then, after a long conversation with both captains and the players concerned, White saw red and both the Uren brothers were shown yellow cards for their part in a brief flare-up.

Lewis scored again under the posts before the man advantage paid off for the visitors and Daynes rampaged through out wide. Immediately afterwards Todd Johnson raced over under the posts to cut the deficit to 44-24.

That was the last time the All Golds were really troubled defensively and Mike Addis extended their lead further after being sent through a gap in the defence to score.

No sooner had the All Golds returned to full strength than Addis was trudging to the touchline after retaliating to a strong tackle and minutes later the cards continued as Swindon’s Liam Rowe was sin-binned for dissent.

The All Golds finished with three tries of increasing skill. First a Swindon error was punished as Brown kicked a loose ball forward on halfway for Dimech to pick up and run away to score.

Swindon forced a goal-line dropout but made an error and, on their next set, sent the ball out for a 20-metre restart that Aedan Coleman returned the full 80-metres for a spectacular individual try.

With the final move of the game Hector Silva ran the restart back strongly, Joe Uren made a half break, handed on to Joe Collins who, in turn, fed Addis. The prop offloaded back to the second row who scored his first try of the season with ease.

Lewis missed the goal but the All Golds had the win they wanted to end their league campaign with more wins than losses and a fortnight to prepare for the play-offs.




ALL GOLDS: Aedan Coleman; George Bvuma, Kaine Dimech, Brandon Lamb, James Royle; Jack Uren, Joe Uren; Mike Addis, Marcus Brown, Ash Lewis (Capt.); Joe Collins, Hector Silva; Dale Cooper; INTERCHANGE: Kieran Webb, Ben Dean-Ellis, Mason Robbins, Kieran Harvey.


Tries: Lewis (6, 48), Dimech (20, 68), Webb (26), Brown (29), Bvuma (37, 41), Jack Uren (45), Addis (58), Coleman (77), Collins (79)

Goals: Lewis 5 from 9, Joe Uren 2 from 2, Coleman 0 from 1

St GEORGE: Myles Everett; Jordan Roberts, Jack Daynes, George Woolley, Liam Rowe; Greig O’Brien, Connor Tomley; Henry Beer, Mark Sharp, Richard White; Craig Barton, Jermaine Edwards; Todd Johnson; INTERCHANGE:, Mike Young, Dave Swinburne, Ryan Carter, Nathan Hayes.


Tries: Daynes (3, 51), Tomley (10), Sharp (14), Johnson (55)

Goals: Sharp 1 from 2, Tomley 1 from 3


All Golds Man of the Match: Kaine Dimech

Scoring sequence: 0-6, 6-6, 6-10, 6-14, 10-14, 16-14, 22-14, 28-14, (HT), 32-14, 38-14, 44-14, 44-18, 44-24, 48-24, 52-24, 58-24, 62-24, (FT)

Penalty Count: 10-8

Referee: Malcolm Holmes


Image courtesy Lewis Mitchell Photography